Pixar’s Onward hit theaters and quickly moved to digital release and soon it’ll be streaming on Disney Plus. On April 3rd to be exact. If you missed it, we wrote a detailed review of Onward. Lots and lots of information there about whether it’s too scary for little kids, and our thoughts on the movie. Including my kids review.
We have a weekly family movie night where we take turns choosing movies to watch together. Onward is Pixar’s latest movie to hit theaters, but sadly the run was cut short because of the pandemic. Good news is it’s already available on digital home video, and will be available to stream on Disney+. We got started on making a Pixar Onward Dessert that you can enjoy with your family while you watch Onward together. And don’t forget to download our free Pixar movie watchlist to check this movie off your list. And follow me on Instagram for more digital checklists.
As with all of our recipes, they have to be EASY! So easy that my kids can do it alone or with minimal help. So far we’ve done Tiana’s Beignets, Toy Story Rice Krispy Treats and Princess Jasmine Donuts. Today I’m sharing our Onward Dessert Cones.
For this you just need some square campfire marshmallows, some sugar cones, blue ice cream (or some frosting), toothpicks, and some spray food coloring. You can also have some fun with it and add some blue cotton candy for the hair. The idea is for this to look like the head of the elves.
You cut the corners off the marshmallows to make the elf ears. Then spray them blue with some food coloring spray. Then stick a toothpick through the bottom and stick that inside your scoop of blue ice cream. We used blue raspberry sherbet for ours.
And after just a few moments of some sugary play you have a fun Onward themed movie dessert. These could be fun for an Onward birthday party too. If you try it please leave us a comment and let us know what you think! We’d also love to hear your thoughts on the movie too!
- 1 Ice Cream Cone
- ½ Cup Blue Ice Cream or Frosting
- 1 Square Marshmallow
- Blue Food Dye Spray
- 2 Toothpicks
- Blue Cotton Candy (optional)
1. Begin by cutting two corners of your marshmallow and spray them entirely blue with the blue food dye spray.
2. Stick one end of a toothpick in one of the pieces of marshmallow and then do the same with the other toothpick to the remaining piece of marshmallow.
3. Scoop your ice cream or frosting and place it on top of your cone in a nice rounded pile.
4. If preferred, you can either use a small utensil to make the wavy “hair” in the ice cream or frosting as shown, or you can roll up pieces of blue cotton candy and make the wavy hair.
5. Stick a marshmallow ear in each side of the cone and enjoy!