We’re halfway through the school year and my 5-year-old is enjoying kindergarten. For the most part.
The morning perkiness and excitement each morning has worn down a bit. I have to wake her up in the mornings now, versus her jumping up at the sound of my alarm. She has yet to tell me she doesn’t want to go, like she sometimes says about her after school activities. I take that as a good sign.
She and I have different ideas regarding our favorite parts about Kindergarten but we sat down to compare our lists. I thought the things she loved were so adorable that I had to document it.
Lil’ J’s favorite parts about school so far
1. Shaving cream: “We build words with it,” she told me. “We smooth it out and it feels so good.”
2. Lunch: “Because we get to talk a little, eat a lot, then talk a little more.” She told me at lunch she likes to talk to her friends about what they’re going to do at recess. It’s so adorable imagining her little 5-year-old conversations. I’ve joined her for lunch a couple times and goodness, they’re so cute.
3. Computer labs: She likes playing the learning games, but doesn’t like getting answers wrong.
4. Playing with Buster: The school mascot. “We got to chase him around and play on the slide with him. He was lost then he got bigger and bigger! Maybe he was sneaking so hard.” Parental translation: They first saw Buster as a stuffed animal puppy then finally re-discovered him days later as a full-grown dog (principal in a dog suit). This was the first week of school.
5. Her teacher: “I like that she helps me get smarter. She teaches us and I like her teaching. She makes it fun.” She also enjoys “free recess” and when her teacher tells them they’re doing so well at Kindergarten they can work on more advanced workbooks.
As far as me, I love listening to her stories about how her day went. Picking her up from school is still one of the highlights of my day. Hearing about her friendships, breakups and makeups makes me laugh inside. She reminds me a lot of myself at that age.
I ordered her school picture and am a little distraught with how old she looks. It was one of the few days I let her hair all the way down.
I love seeing her learn so much without my help. She’s SO proud to show me her new skills when we work on her homework together. And like Lil’ J, I love her teacher. She’s so sweet and cares about her students. She’s great at what she does and really helped ease my panic about my little girl starting kindergarten.
Lil’ J and I decided we wanted to do something special for her teacher for the holidays. Using the Sears.com app we’ve found items we think she and her family would love including cozy slippers, a Disney Christmas train decoration that’s partly because we are Mickey-obsessed and partly because we know her son loves trains like Lil’ J’s brother. And we threw in some gift cards to her favorite restaurants.
We placed an order a couple weeks ago and when I got a notification that part of the order was ready I finally got to try in-vehicle pickup. We drove to the mall to have it brought out to us. In less than two minutes it was brought out to my car. I really wish I could pick up everything this way. Groceries, clothes, my son from preschool!
Lil’ J added the finishing touches on the gift by making a homemade card and writing a little note inside.
I packed it all up and brought it to her Christmas party this morning. She was excited for me to be there and loves when I visit her class.
I still remember bits and pieces of my year in kindergarten. These are some of the moments and milestones she’ll treasure forever, and I’m happy to have a part in it.
As I watch her grow up so quickly before my eyes I pray that she continues to learn and find what she’s interested in and most passionate about, and that she’ll continue to have teachers as awesome as this years to help her along the way. Yay for teachers!
Did you and your kids enjoy kindergarten? Who’s someone special you’d like to surprise and delight this holiday season? Leave a comment and you’ll be entered to win a $50 gift card from Sears. Giveaway ends December 22nd at 11:59pm.
This story was written in partnership with Sears as a part of the Sears Bloggers Squad. Find great gifts at Sears for those who matter in your life. And be sure to visit Sears.com to shop from the comfort of your own home and then use in-vehicle pickup and have all of your items brought straight to your car (also works for returns and exchanges)!