DVR is a blessing and a curse. But mostly a blessing. I remember when I couldn’t wait to watch a show with my family the same time every week. Particularly Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That’s the family show that sticks out the most to me. We’d have dinner and/or popcorn ready to see what Angel and Buffy were gonna get into this week.
In my adulthood I’ve never found myself glued to the television screen at the same time once a week. I prefer to wait til the shows aired, the kids are in bed, and I have a tub of ice cream in hand to enjoy.
I didn’t think of myself as much of a TV watcher but since maternity leave, I’ve picked up a new habit (and Netflix). While nursing (or editing photographs) I’d turn the TV on for more background noise than anything else… But eight seasons of Desperate Housewives, nine seasons of Grey’s Anatomy, and two seasons of Scandal later, I had a new fondness for my flatscreen.
I’ve been more excited than I should admit about this fall because my favorite shows are all coming back on. Let’s just say Thursday’s rock, and my DVR gobbles up all of my shows. As my good friend once said “I feel a crazy sense of accomplishment. Like ‘Yes! I finished and deleted three shows tonight. I was really productive today!'”
Unfortunately the Bachelor won’t be back on until January, but Once Upon a Time just started back up, as well as it’s new spin off Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (I really hope it gets better). Greys Anatomy is on for it’s 10th season (I can’t believe it’s still going and if you ask me, it shouldn’t be). And then there’s my personal favorite… Scandal.
1. Once Upon a Time: One of my favorite shows on TV. This is totally a family show I’d watch with my family if anyone was into it other than me. My kids are too young and my husband doesn’t care for it. But every time I visit my mom and siblings we watch it together. It’s a modern-day fairytale show with a twist. I love love love this show. I’m especially fond of the first season. The second season was OK and I’m hoping this third season will be the best yet. And did you hear Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas are engaged? So excited for them!
When possible I like to watch this as it’s airing cause the cast members tweet #OnceUponATime, and a few of them have even responded to me (yes, I’m a HUGE dork!)
Mondays (in January)
2. The Bachlor/ette: Good mind-numbing TV. Mostly on for background noise purposes and to constantly laugh/shake my head at the fakeness of it all. I also can’t help but read Reality Steve to make my viewing pleasure even more pleasurable. This is the only “reality” show I watch.
Tuesdays and Wednesdays- Nothing. Whomp Whomp.
3. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland: a Spinoff from Once Upon a Time based in… You guessed it… Wonderland. Only one episode has aired so far. It seemed a little slow but it looks like it has great potential, so I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes.
4. Grey’s Anatomy: I flew through this show on Netflix but wasn’t full committed until about five seasons in. I heard Sandra Oh–My favorite character on this show is calling it quits after this season, so I’
I’m really hoping the show is also ending this season. I can’t picture it without her and really… A 10-season series is freaking long.
5. Scandal: Like Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal is also by powerhouse producer Shonda Rhimes. I picked up this show after so many of my readers urged me to on Facebook and it’s by far my favorite show on TV right now. It’s fast moving and definitely not a show for background noise. The first two or so episodes had be scratching my head but by the third episode I was hooked. There’s a lot going on, and it moves fast, so fast in fact, I’m thinking of re-watching the second season to catch parts I missed in my haste to finish before my 1-week free trial of Hulu plus was up.
6. Shark Tank: This is the one show on this list that I watch with my husband (oh, and I lied, it’s reality too). I’ve been hooked ever since my friend, Deidrea, owner of Hot Mama Gowns was on it. Business owners pitch their ideas and/or businesses to successful entrepreneurs for the hopes of getting an investment. It’s fun watching them get ripped apart, or praised, and guessing which ones will do well. It’s one of my favorite shows because we always watch it together.
A couple few honorable mentions:
Blue Bloods: My husband likes the show more than me but I like it cause it’s a show we can agree on.
Southland: Used to be a favorite but wasn’t renewed… Wahh!
Friday Night Lights: We’re slowly but surely making our way through this show on Netflix. We’re only on season two.
Walking Dead: I watched two season then gave up because the zombies scared me too much.
Daniel Tiger: The least-annoying kid show my daughter likes. And it takes me back to my childhood days with characters from Mr. Rogers.
What shows do you like to watch? Does your spouse watch them with you?