Our family has a weekly movie night tradition. It’s very special to us and since moving to our new home and adding a theater room, it’s become a special event. Even Lee Lee is getting the hang of it.
It started years ago with my oldest daughter when my husband was on night shift. While washing and detangling all her curly hair we’d watch a Disney movie together. We’ve made our way through watching almost all of them. I mean even before Disney Plus was a thing (now it’s easier for everyone to start a similar tradition, which I recommend and I even made a free Disney movie checklist to help you along.)
Our Movie Night Rules
It goes like this: Every Friday night is movie night. It’s sorta like a weekly party. Sometimes the night is altered if there’s a holiday or someone is out of town. For dinner we usually make or order pizza. Popcorn is a must, and a themed dessert is a maybe. We take turns choosing the movie. When it’s your turn you get to pick the movie and no one else is allowed to argue with your choice. No devices or extra screens allowed on movie night. Just family time. Movies, fun and food.
I’m not big on baking myself, but my oldest daughter LOVES getting crafty in the kitchen. So I’m stepping out of my comfort zone a little bit and trying a new Friday series, bringing you a movie-inspired treat to enjoy with your family for movie night.
If you have Disney+ you are probably aware that the live action remake of Aladdin just dropped. If you haven’t seen it yet you’re in for a treat. You can read our review here if you’re wondering what to expect and if your little kids will enjoy it.
If you want to start a tradition like this I suggest you make it as fun as possible for everyone involved. Explain the rules, and if someone is bummed about another’s movie choice, remind them they’ll have a turn to pick too.
Alright, enough about that, let’s get on to the desserts!
Aladdin Inspired Party Desserts
These are Aladdin-inspired donuts. Perfect for anything from an Aladdin party theme for a birthday party, a Princess Jasmine party, to an Aladdin themed movie night like our own. One of the BIG requirements with things we make is the recipe must be SIMPLE. I know how it is to be short on time, short on creativity, but full of love for your family. You want to do something fun without a ton of mess but that can bring lasting memories. This next recipe may be just the thing you guys make and love and recreate over and over again.
The inspiration behind these was Princess Jasmine’s notable turquoise and gold outfit.
- 2 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Milk
- ¼ Cup Oil
- ¼ Cup White Sugar
- ¼ Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Salted Butter
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Nutmeg
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Teal Food Coloring
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar (for frosting)
- 4 Tablespoons Milk (for frosting)
- Fine Gold Sprinkles (for frosting)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and spray a donut pan with non-stick cooking spray, before setting it on top of a cookie sheet.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, eggs, both sugars, oil, nutmeg, vanilla, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. Add all but half a cup of the flour then add all the milk. Mix well before adding in the last bit of flour and mixing again.
4. Add in the food coloring and mix well.
5. Fill donut pan about half fun before baking for ten minutes.
6. Let them cool for ten minutes before removing them from the pan and beginning the frosting process.
7. In a wide mouth bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and milk.
8. Place the sprinkles in another wide mouth bowl.
9. Place a sheet of wax paper on the cookie sheet you used to set the donut pan on.
10. Dip the top of each donut in the frosting, giving it a second for the extra glaze to drip away.
11. Dip the donut in the sprinkles, then set right side up on the cookie sheet.
This post may contain referral links. If you make a purchase from one of my recommended links Cherish 365 may receive a small commission.
If you give them a try will you please let us know what you think? And if you’d like to see more content like this on our blog.
*This post contains referral links. If you make a purchase through one of my links Cherish 365 may receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!