“What are you grateful for?” I asked my three-year-old one afternoon as we rode home in the car.

“What’s grateful for?” she asked me in return. She’s always practiced good manners and learned how to give thanks in prayer, but I don’t think I had ever asked her that questions specifically before.

So teaching gratitude to kids… Preschoolers even. How’s it done?

Lil’ J will talk my ear off non-stop about anything and everything on her mind. I decided it was time for a basic lesson in gratitude, in a simple and fun way that she’d understand, doing what she does best… Talking it out.

Gratitude-jar_0041-copyGratitude-jar_0036-copyI cut up some strips of construction paper and wrote questions about gratitude. Questions like:

Who are you grateful for?
How can we show others we are thankful?
What dessert are you most thankful for?
Why is it nice to show our gratitude?

And so on. I put them in a mason jar and we played a little “game” asking each other the questions.gratitude jar gameI’ve continued to spend a little time having these types of discussions throughout the day so she can begin to learn what these words mean, and maybe… Learn ways to be more gracious.

We took turns asking each other questions, and her responses were so adorable I decided we should save some of her answers.

There are a gazillion awesome gratitude crafts out there but she can’t write just yet, and I wanted to get her answers in her own voice… Literally. So after dinner, before stories and by her bedside lamp, I recorded her. This may be something I do every year with my kids to see how their responses vary over time.

She’s adorable, no?

And because I know someone will ask, no, I did not make her dress. I bought it from Adelaide’s Boutique. Yes, I’m thankful for them too.

Have you spoken to your kids about gratitude?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Stef says:

That was SO cute!!! She is just precious! And what a great idea! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Sonia says:

CUTE!!! What a great idea! Thanks for the inspiration Jenn!
Sonia recently posted..May 2013 Photo A DayMy Profile

Thank you! Let me know if you try it!

Kiwi says:

This is such a GREAT idea! I don’t have kids yet, but this is amazing! How cute and yes teaching your children about gratitude will grow them up into lovely individuals! Great parenting!!
Kiwi recently posted..{Product Review} Miss Jessies Leave-In CondishMy Profile

Thank you so much! And I love how you’re planning for your future babies. That was so me 5 years ago!

So cute. Reminds me of my little ones. Great job on the video. It looks like a commercial.
Weather Anchor Mama recently posted..Balancing Natural Hair Care and MotherhoodMy Profile

Aww, thank you! Our kiddos are very similar! Love capturing them “in motion” when I can.

Quiana says:

Awww what cuties and the making of an awesome tradition!
Quiana recently posted..Wordless Wednesday (Take 2): Autumn in Central ParkMy Profile

She is adorable!!! I loved the video! That is something I want to learn to do, now all I need is software, anything you recommend?
Amber @ Tales of Domestica recently posted..Rural Idaho Autumn DriveMy Profile

I use Final Cut Pro, but you can make something simple like this using iMovie (if you have a Mac) perhaps Windows Movie Maker if not. I have used my iPhone for some stuff like this in the past too.. it’s nice HD quality, and simple enough for something like this! I love making videos so let me know if you have nay other questions!

Cynthia says:

I absolutely love this idea. If you make a video every year you are really going to see your kiddos growth. Your babies are absolutely adorable!!! 🙂
Cynthia recently posted..Trick or Treating was a Real Treat!My Profile

Thank you so much! I love how you can see how much they love each other in this one. I have a feeling next years may not be quite as friendly.

Renata Calixto says:

That is just TOO CUTE.

She is gorgeous! 🙂

Amanda says:

Pretty sure my ovaries just exploded. They are seriously some of the cutest kids EVER. Her little voice is just precious.

Jasmine says:

This is an awesome idea! And my favorite part is “he says he’s thankful for his big sister” of course! 😀 You have such a lovely family!
Jasmine recently posted..See It. Do It.My Profile

Jusst want to say your article is as astounding.

The clearness in your post is simply cool and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject.
Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to
date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.

Also visit my page – tablets with android
tablets with android recently posted..tablets with androidMy Profile

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this blog.
It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very difficult to get that
“perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal.
I must say that you’ve done a fantastic job with
this. Also, the blog loads super quick for me on Firefox.
Exceptional Blog!
asus memo pad recently posted..asus memo padMy Profile