Last week my husband came home sick from work. This is a big deal. I can’t remember a time this has happened.

Earlier that day I had told the kids that we could play with water balloons once daddy got home from work. Now he was coming home sooner than expected, but not feeling well. So I had to tell them that’s we’d need to wait until their daddy was feeling better.

It’s not unusual for my husband to complain about not feeling well. So I never know if it’s a headache, allergies, just a weird feeling, or if he actually means he’s really sick.

So the fact that he was coming home from work early, I knew I had to put on an empathetic face and brace myself for the worst.

When our son was sick with a bad cough a few weeks ago I was the world’s best nurse. Actually my husband was. He went out and bought some Vicks VapoRub and a humidifier. He rubbed the cream on our son’s chest before bed and got the machine all set up for his room. My husband was so strong for our little guy. A champ. But when it comes to being sick himself… That’s another story.

When I’m sick (which seriously, very rarely happens) I don’t try to make it apparent. Unless I’m on the verge of heaving (which, to my husband’s credit, this time he was) you might not know it.

When it comes to taking care of my sick kids, I can handle it. Use lots of water for fluids, warm baths for aches, VapoRub for coughs, and snuggles for comfort. When it comes to taking care of a sick husband I suck.

I did go to the store right away to get him (canned) chicken noodle soup. I got him fluids to keep him hydrated, and then I slept in the guest room and prayed we wouldn’t catch what he had.

It’s not that I’m not sympathetic—Ok, maybe that’s part of it. Another part is that fact that I really don’t know what to do. A husband isn’t as easily consolable as a child. And really, I think sometimes men are just big babies. Mine is. But I love him. Here’s why…

Every other hour our kids would ask if he was feeling better–especially our son. My husband overheard and asked why they kept asking if he was feeling better.

“Because they want you to play water balloons with them,” I told him.

The next afternoon, though he still wasn’t feeling his best (we wound up self-diagnosing him with a stomach bug), he got up and filled up balloons for our kids and played with them for a bit. This was big. Because when he’s sick, I know it, the world knows it. But he put on a smile to make them smile and then I fell in love with him all over again.

Coupon time! Use my special link to save $1 off your purchase! When Big T got a bad cough my husband went straight for the Vicks VapoRub. The nostalgic-smelling cream worked quickly and it’s now one of our favorite sick day solutions.

I love brands that help my family on good days and bad. That’s why I partnered with Vicks to share this story.

Tags: , , ,

Rebecca Bryant says:

Aw, i hope he is feeling better. I love Vicks rub I remember my mom using it on us as kids when were sick.

He’s doing much better now, thank you!

Milena says:

Vicks Vapo rub reminds me of my childhood. Thanks for the coupon! I always keep some in the house for when sickness strikes!
Milena recently posted..10 Things I’ve Been Learning This Week #LifeLessonsMy Profile

Melanie says:

I’ll admit it, I’m not a very sympathetic nurse for my husband. Life is so hectic and busy, that when he’s done for the count I have twice as much to do. Picking up some Vick’s so he can feel better, and I can show that I care is a great idea.

Well, I try 😉

It’s definitely hard to sympathize with the man-cold! There’s usually a lot of drama going on with it! My mother has always sworn by Vicks. To this day, it’s the first thing she recommends when someone gets a cold!
Lois Alter Mark recently posted..google chromecast audio means music everywhere!My Profile

haha, it’s like the cute-all isn’t it?!

Stephanie Jeannot says:

You sound like such a strong woman, an excellent mother and a great wife. That was so sweet of him to still play with the kids while such. Awww!

Well you are just the sweetest, thank you!

Ashley says:

I’m always less sympathetic with my hubs than the kids. Because I always thought my stuff out like you said! But I’m trying to be better lol
Ashley recently posted..Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Rose CrownMy Profile

Haha, I’m glad I’m not the only one, that’s so funny!